Well, on Thursday night we left for MN at about 6pm. I was SOOOOO sick I was crying. I'm not sure what all the nausea has been about this time around. We made it to Wauwauwega when we got pulled over for speeding. The cop was very nice. He gave us the option of giving us a $10 fine for no insurance (even though we HAD proof of insurance) or a $200+ speeding ticket. Hmmm, what would you choose? So our $10 ticket should show up in the mail soon.
In Stevens Point Rob stopped for McDonald's. I tried to eat just a plain hamburger but took one bite and had to spit it out the window. The only thing I could get down was some crackers that we brought from home mainly just so I could get my antibiotics down. I was able to nap for about 2 hours in the car and felt better when I woke up. Poor Rob had to drive in the dark alone...I always feel guilty sleeping....I think I should stay awake to keep him company.
We got to our hotel at 10pm and unloaded all our stuff. When we opened the door to our room it just stunk of cigarette smoke. Not cool considering I had booked a non-smoking room...and the smell was sure to not help my nausea! But, it was so late and we had already parked the car down by the entrance near our room and hauled all our bags in that we just "dealt with it." Today though, I emailed the hotel my disappointment.
The next morning we got up around 8am and started getting ready for our appointment. I had doctor's orders to not eat or drink anything that morning due to the anesthesia, which was a bummer because I hadn't eaten anything except crackers at 7pm the day before. Rob was able to enjoy continental breakfast at the hotel. We got to our appointment right on time for Rob to have his appointment for his "contribution" to this process. :) Then they took me back for the same old drill. Weigh in, take blood pressure, put gown on, start IV. She tried to do the IV in my arm, but wasn't successful. She put the needle in and dug around FOREVER. She said my veins were small from being dehydrated. Which I could understand with how little I had had to eat and drink within the last day. They finally found a vein in my hand. After my IV was in they took me right across the hall to the procedure room to get started. I had mentioned to my nurse that my instructions never told me to use my Lupron trigger shot that they had sent me. She seemed surprised but said she would check on it. I had texted my nurse here in Appleton to confirm that it wasn't in my insructions the night I would've had to administer it, and she agreed that it was not in there. Perhaps I should've called RMIA direct that night. Darn it.
The anesthesiologist came in and got me started. It's funny how fast I pass out after that. Rob said Dr. Stassart came in and that I greeted him, but I DO NOT remember that at all. The next thing I knew, I woke up back in the room I started in. Rob video-taped me waking up. Not a pretty video! I don't remember the travel from one room to the other. They apparently slide me from one bed to the other and then wheel me across the hall, although on the video Rob tries to tell me that I "danced" from one room to the next. They told me they retrieved 13 eggs. I was a little bummed about that. The last 2 times we had 22 each time. This time, only 13. That seems like significantly less. Less to grow to Blastocyst stage. Less to have frozen. Oh well. It is what it is.
My nurse then gave me my nutter butter cookie snack with apple juice. Once my IV finished, I was able to get dressed and we could go home. My nurse then explained to me that I SHOULD have taken my Lupron trigger, that it was a computer error that they didn't tell me to (UGH!) but that everything should be just fine because I triggered with HCG, and I got 13 eggs. It still bums me out though because our first IVF try we didn't do the Lupron trigger, and our eggs were of poor quality and we didn't get pregnant. Our second protocol was so much better with the Lupron trigger, and we did get pregnant. I'm really hoping that not doing the Lupron isn't going to affect the process in any way. The real unfortunate thing is that we paid for that med for nothing. I suppose we should try to get our money back on that one. Annoying.
We headed out for home right around noon yesterday. The anesthesiologist suggested we get some "comfort" food for lunch. We stopped at Subway and I tried to eat some soup, but it was not happening. I was so sick - again! We headed out for home and I tried to sleep but I was just fighting nausea with every fiber of my being. I finally had to have Rob pull over on a side road and I "firehose" vomited several times. After that I felt like a million bucks. We made it the rest of the way home without incident.
Once home I cozied in on the couch and slept most of the night. We have instructions to call "med voice" - an automated service - tomorrow after 2pm to find out if our transfer will be on day 3 or day 5. Our plan was to get to a day 5 transfer, like last time, but I guess you can never tell until they see how they are growing in the lab. I will be frustrated if we have a day 3 transfer since that is also what happened the first time and we were unsuccessful. I'm hoping we have something make it to day 5. But - people do get pregnant on day 3 transfers. If they're not growing super well in the lab, the best place for them to be is inside me, so we'll just leave it to the experts and see what happens. If it is a day 3, we'll be headed back to MN on Monday already.
Today I'm taking it easy, somewhat. I got up, paid bills, had Rob run me to the grocery store, made blue berry muffins, and spritz cookies, got the laundry going, and now I'm relaxing, blogging and watching HGTV. I had a little bout of nausea today, but nothing like I was having. I'm at risk for OHSS so I have to drink lots of water and gatorade. I think it is that condition that makes me feel so icky. We're having more comfort food for lunch - grilled cheese and tomato soup. Yum!
Rob is busy working away in the basement - by himself!!! He's got a drywall lift and he's screwing drywall into the ceiling all on his own. He's amazing.
I'm very happy to have our last retrieval behind us. It's so much to go through. I sure hope we get pregnant and have a baby this time, but even if we don't, I'm getting ready to kiss IVF goodbye! It's been a long year and a half.
No comments:
Post a Comment